How the Bambach can help with Scoliosis
When a person with Scoliosis is sitting on the Bambach Saddle Seat:
- The hips are at an angle of 45-degree flexion in external rotation and abduction. In this position, the individual can be balanced and secure with dynamic postural control allowing him or her to move in all planes easily.
- In this sitting position the hip joint is in its ‘loose-pack' position, where there is least pressure on the joint structures and least joint surface contact. This places the hip joint in a stable and comfortable position.
- Secure pelvic control is provided. The Bambach Saddle Seat can be finely adjusted so the pelvis is stabilised in its upright, neutral position. It then follows, as the spine responds to the correct pelvic angle that it can be active in its natural upright curves.
- Limbs are placed in position to minimise abnormal tone. Conventional seating will cause the hypotonic individual to slump forward and develop poor postural habits which if unaddressed will lead to secondary problems.
- A clear midline assists maintenance of balance and symmetry. This assists in activating the muscles of postural control in a balanced way which allows the development of a symmetrical posture and limits which can limit or correct any deformity and prevent back pain.
- The individual sitting upright is an active posture rather than a passive collapsed position.
- Partial weight bearing can be encouraged through to standing from a half-sitting position, which stimulates lower limb proprioception, mobilizes the joint and improves muscle tone.
- In conventional seating almost every anti-gravity muscle is inactivated for long periods. The normal, healthy pull of muscles and tendons on bones and joints is lost, resulting in the loss of the necessary stimulation for growth, strength and flexibility. Also as children grow, their bones, tendons and muscles grow at varying rates and in unpredictable spurts. Active movement is necessary to maximise normal growth. Inactivity in a poor posture is the antithesis of this need.
- Facilitation of independence in sitting and other motor activities.
- Trunk and head control are easier in the natural position so that functional activities, such as swallowing and speech are improved.
- Thoracic, abdominal and pelvic spaces are maximized resulting in improved lung and internal organ function and circulation.
- With the upper body stable and free to move in this upright posture, eye contact, communication and social interaction are a great deal easier. This can lead to improved self-esteem through improved relationships with peers. So not just functional performance but also psycho-social interaction improves simply as a result of sitting in correct posture.
- Retraction of the shoulder girdle into the neutral position means that upper limb tasks and fine motor activities are facilitated allowing self care activities, such as meals, washing and dressing, and writing, computer work, hobbies and playing games to be more easily performed.
Call 020 8532 5100 (or email email@example.com) and ask for a FREE assessment and demonstration plus 30 day trial. See how effective the Bambach Saddle Seat can be.